Saturday, March 13, 2010

Chicken Day!


We picked up our two chickens this morning. One is a Red Laced Blue Wyandotte, the other is a Copper Marans. They are both about 3 months old, and at that awkward teenage stage, lanky and unattractive. Also, they are not talking to us. I think they are sulking and ignoring us because we are adults, and therefore totally uncool.

We drove out to Temecula to get them from Natalie at Namaste Farms. She is living the dream. She raises goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, peacocks, bunnies, etc... She shears her own animals and then dyes the fleece and spins it into yarn that she sells for $$$$$$$ to fancy yarn stores. There was some kind of crazy playhouse that was an old truck with a shingled castle shack coming out of it. Lovely. She helped us pick out two chickens and showed us what we should look for in a healthy chicken. After we chose a likely couple of hens, we went into her house to pay.

I asked if I could see her yarn and she showed me what she had left since she had just sent most of her current stock out. I saw this lovely green skein of yarn and she was all, "you like that?" I can't stand it, I'll give it to you for $5. I ended up getting 3 skeins of yarn for $40. Beautiful colors. I have no idea what I'll do with it, but she had some interesting ideas for me. We packed the chickens into the car and made our way home.

Natalie's farm was an inspiration to me. I don't know if that is exactly the way I would like to go, but she is doing what she loves and making good money at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment